The Deer Camp is a social network
I was lucky enough to get invited to Davis Island, Brierfield Hunting Club again this year. Richard Campbell, who started Hunters For The Hungry in Baton Rouge and other cities in LA, invited me and Scott Couper to hunt with him. Scott heads up Hunters For The Hungry in Baton Rouge, LA, and and I am one of the volunteers who helps collect venison, ducks, and fish every September, for the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. The collection day is called, "Clean Out The Freezer Day". I man the collection point at The Bass Pro Shops store in Denham Springs, LA., along with Dennis Ledbetter, Brent Sawyer, and Chipper Maraist.
Our first hunt was Friday, 1/11/13. It was an evening hunt on the South side of the island. Scott Couper, Garry Krouse, and I were on a food plot/road, Tommy Casanova was bow…Continue
The deer season is finally heating up! We are near the peak of the rut finally. The warm early season has finally given way to the a little bit of Winter and the rut. This past weekend, Chipper and Elbis both put some meat in the freezer. Chipper killed a 7 point at the "Bear Stand" and Elbis killed a nice doe near the "Swimming Hole" stand.
We have a good cold front on the way which will coincide with the peak of the rut this weekend, and I won't be there for that either. I missed the last weekend because of guest coming in for Christmas and the kids are coming in for New Years. I don't mind missing hunting for family, but it doesn't lessen my desire to be there. Hopefully I will get to spend some time in the woods the following week and weekend to make up for lost time, I can only hope.…Continue
It's been a bad year for me, I had my gallbladder removed three days before the opeing of bow season. I made it to the camp for the opening weekend, but was unable to pull a bow, but I was there! It has taken all of this time for my body to adjust properly to the surgery. I still have some problems, mostly passing up a bathroom! I'm told that, this too shall pass.
The season itself has been very slow, as it has been for most of the people that I've talke to this year. Only two deer have been taken at our camp so far this year, along with two hogs. The hogs, yotes, the heat, the moon, who knows if these thing have been the problem, but I'm sure this has had a great effect on the season and deer movement. We need to consider getting some help in getting rid of some of the hogs on our place. I have heard that if…Continue
We had a fun time at the camp last weekend, but it sure was hot! Friday evening was party time, Elbis, Chipper, Big Al, and I had time to visit, drink some creme sodas, grill and smoke some good cigars! We finished off the evening by watching "We were soldiers" for the 50 th time, we still love it!
We re-cut food plots #1, #2, and #4, that Mikey had bush hogged two weeks ago. We then cut food plots # 5, #6, #7, and # 8. The weeds and grass had to have been 5 feet high. Chipper and I then disced food plots #1 and #4 and planted them with Biologic Golden Chufa and Tecamate Monster Mix. We are a little late planting the Chufa, but we still have plenty of time before our first frost. The plots should look good for bow season.
When God made the fishes of the sea, he took some of them and made some deer, so that his children could hunt and fish!
1) Man did not evolve from apes! We are still apes, look in the mirror after 3 days at the deer camp!
2) If I have to put up with your crap, you should have to put up with mine, It's called unconditional LOVE!
3) 98% of all statistics are wrong!
4) Studies show that couples have sex three time a week on average, those men that aren't, are deer hunters!
5) If you pray for something, but then still fret and worry over it, you're not really a believer!
6) Dogs are the best judge of character!
7) If you don't like your job, don't bitch, QUIT!
8) If you don't like it, you better tell Momma, or she'll keep cooking it!
9) If you voted for the Democrat, this crap is your fault!
10) Men are from Mars, women are from Uranus. (It's OK ladies, you won't be the first female I pissed off)
11) The quote, that the eyes are the window to the soul, it's true, when someone looks at you with dead eyes, you know where you stand with them. Avoid those people and don't get dragged down in to hell!
12) When you are in total darkness, it only takes a small glimmer of light for you to find your way! (Technically that's 1 lumen)
13) If there was no deer season, life would not be worth living, except for the kids and grandbabies.
14) A deer camp is a fraternity, like people, like personalities, and like humor and hopefully drink the same brand of beer and smoke good cigars!
15) Unhappy people tend to get away from what makes them unhappy or they stay unhappy!
16) Hunting is a way of life, not a hobby, build a bridge and get over it!
17) Drinking plenty of beer makes other people more interesting!
18) If your wife doesn't hunt and doesn't like you to hunt, ya probably need a new wife!
19) God made fish and then deer for men to catch and hunt. Whether fish evolved into deer is in question, but if God wanted to do it that way, he could! Matt. 19 : 26, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
20) I believe in evolution, but I believe that God made us to evolve. I think that God, being all knowing, knew how much we would screw up things, so he designed us to evolve to adjust to our screw ups. I truly believe that with God, all things are possible. Who am I to say that He would or won't design us that way! I don't presume to know what's in Gods plan for us, so I never say that God would not have designed things to evolve. He probably inspired Darwin to come up with his theory! Amen!
21) If you have to ask your wife if you can get into a hunting club, you ain't getting in, cause the answer is NO!
22) If you're a nut case going into a psychiatrist's office, you're going to still be a nut case when you come out.
23) Love will make some people do strange things and usually against their better judgment.
24) A friend told me that a beer is a sandwich in a can, he's right!
25) Deer hunt every day that you can, hopefully today, for tomorrow you may die!
26) Men should be driven away from the herd, just like young bucks after all the wanted babies are born!
27) All of those who want the government to take care of you, raise your hands! Now you pay for it!
28) No matter where you go, there you are!
29) You'll never get your share, if you don't show up!
30) I may not be the best at what I do, but the best call me sometimes for advice.
31) Bubba's Diet Plan - Don't eat so much and get off your butt and get some exercise!
32) Horizontal stripes aren't making you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat!
33) A lazy man will always invent an easier way to do any task!
34) When eating boiled crawfish, wash your hands before you pee!
35) Cutting grass and weed eating makes beer taste better.
36) Hot dogs on the grill is not a bar-b-que!
37) The past doesn't seem so bad now, the present doesn't seem to be so good, and thank God that I don't know the future.
38) Sometimes when you've reached the bottom, wait, you can still go down some more!
39) The less your lips move, the smarter you get!
40) If you sneeze, cough, hiccup, and fart at the same time, it will kill you!
41) People get finicky when they work for free!
42) Why settle for hamburger, when you have hamburger at home!
43) If you're driving down a dirt road to get home, you must live in heaven!
44) Erectile Disfunction is caused by wives.
45) You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but you can make a damn good football with it!
46) Women really believe that men can't tell the difference between a Yoplait fart and a Alpo fart.
47) Life is like a box of chocolates, full of nuts!
48) When you're young, it takes 5 years for a year to go by and when you get old, it take 5 minutes for a year to go by!
49) You learn by your mistakes, that's why I'm near genius!
50) Our heroes were always heroes to their sons, daughters and wives. Semper Fi.
51) Dogs are a good judge of character, that's why they don't like cats!
BUBBA'S DEER CAMP IRISH STEW
Serves 8 - 10 People
Peanut oil (bacon grease is good too) to saute meat.
3 lbs. Venison cut into stew meat.
2 Large onions, diced.
2 Bell peppers, diced.
2 Table Spoons minced garlic.
Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand chopped carrots.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand sweet peas.
1 8 oz. can of name brand nibblet corn.
1-11/2 lbs. new potatoes, diced.
1 Box/can Swanson's beef broth.
1) Brown stew meat, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a 6 quart dutch oven, season the meat and seasonings with Tony Chachere's
2) Add all can goods, including the juice from the can.
3) Add the beef broth.
4) Add the diced potatoes.
5) Bring to a boil, the lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for an hour.
6) Serve over buttered cornbread, your recipe or Bubba's Creamy Cornbread.
7) Check the seasoning towards the end of the cooking time, you may want to add some more Tony Chachere's, you've added a lot of ingredients to the mix at this point. I check the stew several times for seasoning during cooking.
BUBBA'S CREAMY CORNBREAD
2 Pound bag of Aunt Jamima's Yellow Corn Meal.
Follow the instructions on the back of the bag, except for the milk. Substitute sour cream for the milk, then add 1 small can drained of nibblets corn and 3 table spoons of diced, mild, jalapeno peppers. You will have to add some milk to thin down the batter.
This stew is easy to cook and is great at home or at the camp. I always use name brand ingredients, the stew always taste better with better quality ingredients, I've cooked this stew hundreds of times, I know this for a fact.
You'll love the creamy cornbread, with the stew over it or on the side or both, you can't go wrong. The stew may be cooked ahead of time, like a day or two, it gets better after the first day you've cooked it.